Welcome to The Academy of Martial Arts
A message from our team
The safety of our students, staff, team members and families is of the utmost importance during this time for our physical studio. We are working diligently with the guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and prevention (CDC) as well as our state and local health authorities to create the safest environment for anyone who enters our school. We will follow the guidelines put in place for social distancing, school capacities, contact tracing and additional sanitization as well as protective measures to continue to make the safety of our community the top priority.
We understand many parents are returning to work and need are, and/or families are looking for healthy exercise activities. We also understand many parents are not ready for their kids to return to activities. We are offering both in-studio and virtual programming and we can help your family no matter which way you fall.
We've highlighted some of the changes that we are implementing to create a safe environment and a positive experience for those attending our studio physically.
The Academy is OPEN for both in person and Zoom Classes.
We highly encourage all students to wear masks when attending the Academy location. Please do NOT attend in person if you are feeling ill or have been around someone who is ill .
Don't miss out on our Specials!
Don't miss this! click here to begin.
The Academy of Martial Arts studio in Ankeny, Iowa was founded in 2004 by Master Kevin Deaver, a 5th degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do and in Hapkido.
His mission of sharing the transformative power of martial arts with families and individuals continues with a curriculum that empowers students with the skills, leadership qualities, and positive attitude to improve their lives.
Courses include Little Ninjas (programming for preschoolers 4 - 6 year olds), Tigers (1st & 2nd Graders), Tae Kwon Do, Chung So Nyun Hapkido (Youth Hapkido), Chon-Tu Kwan Hapkido (Adult Hapkido), Tai Chi, Weapons classes, TRU (Womens empowerment classes) and self-defense seminars as scheduled.
Click one of the program buttons below to learn more.
The core values of the Academy of Martial Arts studio teaches are based on the Tenets of Tae Kwon Do:
1. Courtesy (Korean – Ye Ul) – To be courteous is to show excellence of manners and social conduct and to exhibit polite behavior. Examples in Tae Kwon Do might be to distinguish instructor from student, senior from junior and elder from younger, and to maintain the appropriate etiquette at all times, both within and outside the dojang (training hall).
2. Integrity (Korean – Yom Chi) – To adhere to moral and ethical principles and to be able to define right from wrong. A Tae Kwon Do instructor who misrepresents himself and his art by presenting improper techniques to his students because of a lack of knowledge, or a student who ‘fixes’ breaking materials before a demonstration, would show no sign of possessing integrity.
3. Perseverance (Korean – In Nae) – A steady persistence in a course of action, in spite of any difficulties, obstacles or discouragement. In Tae Kwon Do, one must set a goal and then constantly persevere to achieve this.
4. Self-Control (Korean – Guk Gi) – The ability to control or restrain oneself, or one’s actions or feelings. This is one of the most important of the Tae Kwon Do tenents both inside and outside the dojang. A loss of self control in the dojang can prove disastrous for both student and opponent, and likewise outside the dojang during daily life.
5. Indomitable Spirit (Korean – Baekjul Boolgool) – An attribute shown when a courageous person and his principles are pitted against overwhelming odds. If confronted with injustice, the Tae Kwon Do student will deal with the belligerent without any fear or hesitation at all, with indomitable spirit, regardless of whosoever and however many the number may be.